We value creating quality jewellery that lasts. Jewellery is both a personal and considered investment and a piece from Louise Jean will not only last for generations, but will continue to hold its value over time.
Let us explain the different types of gold and our difference.
Gold plated pieces have a fragile layer of gold over silver (or brass) just 1-2 microns thick. The problem with gold plated jewellery is that they will inevitably fade and the metal underneath will eventually tarnish and be exposed. In the past, Louise Jean has worked with plated metals; however, we have decided to discontinue designing with it for a good reason. It doesn't last, as much as many jewellery companies want to try and make you believe otherwise. Don't be fooled; if it's 'cheap', it's for a reason!
Gold Vermeil (pronounced ver-mil) is just a fancy way of saying 'heavy gold plating'. Vermeil is on average, 2.5-4 microns thick, the average human hair is 50-80 microns so, let that sink in. While it is designed to last longer than plating, it isn't ideal for a piece you want to last forever.
Gold filled is gold that is pressure-bonded onto a piece. Only 5% of the piece is actual gold, so the remaining 95% are cheaper base metals that eventually show in the jewellery - and over time your piece will darken and appear dull. While gold filled jewellery does last longer than plating, it isn't an investment not is it ideal for everyday wear.
We believe that you should receive the highest quality precious metals and want to ensure the longevity of your jewellery.
Gold in it's purest form (24K) is far too soft and for everyday wear. To strengthen the metal and make it suitable for jewellery, other alloys are added which results in 'solid gold' with varying karat weights. At Louise Jean, we have chosen to work with 14K and 18K metals as they offer the perfect balance between strength and purity. While 9K is an economical option for jewellery, it only contains less than half pure 24K gold content and can tarnish on those with reactive skin (due to it's higher silver/alloy content). Exposure to chemicals and perspiration can mean your 9K jewellery may appear dull or discoloured - making it less ideal for everyday wear.
There are three types of gold used at Louise Jean. Each colour is created by combining pure gold with varying quantities of other metals.
Yellow gold is the most commonly used and seen precious metal, with its distinct yellow colour and rich history. Yellow gold is alloyed with small amounts of copper and pure silver to give it both its durability and soft hue.
Note: Yellow gold is an excellent option if paired with lower colour grade diamonds as the warmth of the stone is offset by the colour in the gold. Yellow gold is also suitable with may gemstones and will compliment pastel coloured stones (Morganite, Opal, Sapphire, Emerald etc.)
Rose gold has become increasingly popular over the years and is often chosen for a feminine and romantic appeal. The pink tone in the metal is created by adding extra copper when alloyed with pure gold, along with some fine silver for added brightness.
Note: Although rose gold has at least 58% pure gold, it is important to note that the copper content will not affect those with sensitive skin and is ideal for everyday wear.
White gold is another popular choice and is often selected by those who prefer neutral metal tones. The ‘white’ is created when either platinum or palladium is added to pure gold (along with a smaller amount of silver or zinc). It is then finished with a plating of rhodium to give it a brighter silver-like lustre.
Note: While white gold is a very durable metal, it may require regular re-platings if as the rhodium will fade with everyday wear.
Beyond the sentiment of wearing a Louise Jean piece, wearing gold is said to offer a variety of healing/health benefits and has been used and valued by many cultures over thousands of years. You can rest assured that quality solid gold jewellery will not fade, tarnish or corrode. It is a piece that will last forever, and we want you to know the non-monetary value of your treasure. While we take pride in quality, we also believe that beautiful jewellery should be sustainable with a minimal carbon footprint. All of our pieces are made with both recycled and eco-friendly materials, and no hazardous chemicals are used during production (lead, nickel, cadmium, chromium).
|4||H||46.6mm circumference||14.9mm internal diameter|
|15"||This is designed to sit higher on the neckline or around the base of the neck.|
|16"||Sits around the hollow of the neck|
|17"||Sits below or around the hollow of the neck|